The Second Renaissance

Work in the office has been a little low paced lately, and I was kind of thinking that perhaps I should blog :P. And then I thought of this Animatrix mini-episode that I watched some time back. Alright, some info on this.

I'm paraphrasing this from Wikipedia. Animatrix is a collection of 8 anime episodes which provides most of the foundation and groundwork for the actual Matrix movie trilogy. It was released around the same time as the first Matrix installment and some of the episodes are actually written by the Wachowski brothers themselves. These 8 episodes showcases the different facets of the Matrix plotline, giving us a better idea on how the Matrix works, how it came about and what was mankind's role in it's existence.

I believe many found the Matrix storyline to be somewhat confusing and disconnected at times because the movie does not explain everything, but I think that is not a weakness because the Matrix trilogy is actually narrating on the current state of events, after the existence of the Matrix. However, the Animatrix will take you further back into history, and like I say lays down the groundwork for the subsequent storyline to tread on. For curious Matrix fans who are yet to be enlightened, try getting your hands on the Animatrix DVD and, I guarantee that you will not look at the Matrix trilogy the same way again (bullet time, Keanu Reeves??? :P, Morpheus' sunglasses) but rather look beyond that and appreciate the actual plot and storyline that the Wachowski brothers had envisioned.

Of the 8 episodes, I've actually pulled two out from YouTube to put here on my blog for your viewing pleasure. They are called The Second Renaissance (Part 1 and 2) and are actually two parts of a fictional documentary. As a short synopsis, these two parts provide a back-story to the original Matrix films, explaining the historical events leading up to the First Man-Machine War. Beginning in the mid twenty-first century, Part I describes the creation of the machines and the origins of their conflict with the human civilizations of Earth. Part II reveals the first war between the humans and machines, ending with a machine victory in the later years of the century and the establishment of machine control over Earth. These two parts were actually written by the Wachowski brothers themselves.

Why these two, because I was really taken aback when I watched them, because they paint a picture of what humanity is truly capable of in the future and also the dangers of imprudent technology utilization. It also shows that past major history events are repeating themselves again in the future, only difference now is that it happens between machines and men. And even the title tells us that this is something significant that would change the lives of humankind dramatically and permanently. Pondering that this might/could happen in the near future did send some shivers down my spine.

But on a lighter vein, for those who are seeking answers to why/how the Matrix exists as it is in Neo's world, this two parts, I think will satisfy that curiosity.

I salute the Wachowski brothers for their creativity and imagination in creating this fictional world, and plots that are truly convincing and alive. I've always judged the quality of a movie/anime by the impression that it leaves on me at the end of the movie and the fact that I watched this two parts 2 years ago and that it still lingers on my mind for me to blog about, shows that it was a truly worthwhile and meaningful watch.

Disclaimer : These two episodes contain violence/gore that could be disturbing to come viewers. I shall not take any responsibility for any adverse psychological/emotional effects that might occur after watching them. After all, you clicked the play button :P

The Second Renaissance - Part I



The Second Renaissance - Part 2

Comments