The Marvels of Modern Logistics

UPS Package Tracking

A couple of months ago, pENguiN~ helped me order an Intel Core2Duo Processor for my new PC (don't ask how/why) from the US. I was quite amazed with the shipping company, UPS in this case; one for being able to ship that fast (with expedited shipping), but most importantly is the ability for the customer to track their packages in almost real-time, which you can see above.

The package travelled through 8 cities (if I count correctly) over a period of 4 days before it finally reached Penang. I still remember how I eagerly anticipated the packaged arrival, not by praying hard :P but by constantly checking their tracking system. I can only imagine how much effort has been put into the overall infrastructure to enable such a real-time data availability to customers, and even more so when considering that each data collection point is not localized but rather distributed geographically around the world. Hats off to UPS :)

Now, how I wish Pos Malaysia can do the same too.

Some facts on UPS.

Worldwide Facts

Founded: August 28, 1907, in Seattle, Wash., USA
World Headquarters: Atlanta, Ga., USA
World Wide Web Address: http://www.ups.com/
Chairman & CEO: Michael L. Eskew
2006 Revenue: $47.5 billion
Employees: 427,700 Worldwide (360,600 U.S.; 67,100 International)

Comments

pENguiN~ said…
Probably you should by something with approx equivalent value for Penguin~ for her coming birthday... *hint* *hint*... Kakaka... :D