Fred and the Silver Sketches

I've always thought that (most) celebrity endorsed products are usually overhyped, overpriced and overpublicized; but it is a known fact that many people (including myself ironically) do actually purchase something just because their favourite artiste says that they are using it too. And of course, they are paid to do that :)

I'm a big fan Joe Satriani, and he does endorse a couple of products like his own signature JSX guitar amplifier from Peavey and the famous Ibanez JS Series guitar. And obviously these two pieces of equipment are just way too expensive (about USD 1.5k apiece) for me to own (pENguiN~ would kill me), though I would want to. Besides those, Joe's also endorses guitar pickups from Dimarzio (particularly the Fred) and also the new Vox Satchurator distortion effects pedal.


Dimarzio Fred, Peavey JSX and Vox Satchurator

Ibanez JS 1000 - gorgeous

Then, on a lighter vein, he also endorses accessories such as JS signature straps and picks from Planet Waves.

Joe's signature straps and picks - notice the character sketch oriented art

Last year, in pursuit of his guitar tone I actually swapped out the stock pickups of my guitar to those that are used in his JS series Ibanezes. Well if I can't get the guitar, I can at least try out their pickups. So, the Dimarzio Paf Pro goes to the neck position and Dimarzio Fred to the bridge position. Cost me quite a bit in fact, but it was a good upgrade. Pickups are so crucial to an electric guitars tone, and swapping these in really breathed in new life to my electric guitar's tone. Now if only I can play half as good as Joe :P

Dimarzio Fred with the silver polepieces and Paf Pro with the black pole pieces. Middle single coil was unchanged

And more recently, to get a little more of Joe (mojo??), I've decided to get one of his signature guitar straps from Planet Waves. Not as pricey as the pickups, but pENguiN~ says that I'm still paying too much for nylon webbings and leather ends. But let me say the strap looks really thick and comfy, and most importantly cool with ermm.. the bizzare-looking silver sketches. That's the name of the strap design anyways. Apparently, Joe likes to do character sketches and has decided to incorporate his quirky artwork into his signature straps. I haven't gigged with it yet at the moment, but I'm sure it'll feel great.

The Silver Sketches up close

Product Card of the strap - apparently it's supposed to stand up to 1000lbs of force :P

It even came with a cool looking hook

I'm not quite sure what to do with my old strap - it's a plainer looking Planet Waves

I wonder what or when is my next Joe merchandise, but the Vox Satchurator looks pretty yummy.

Comments

pENguiN~ said…
You have an expensive hobby... kesian me... :D
Anonymous said…
That Ibanez Joe series is nice! =D
Buy buy !! :) hehehe
Daniel Yap said…
good hobbies aren't cheap...