Don't look back in anger


What's the story morning glory? (1995)

Don't believe the truth (10 years later - 2005)

NO, this is not a rant post.

It is just one of my favourite songs back in the 1990s from Oasis. I recently picked up their latest studio album, Don't Believe The Truth and listening to them kinda makes me think back when I first listened to them back in 1996. What's The Story Morning Glory was my first Oasis album, and was their second. During then, songs like Wonderwall and Don't Look Back in Anger were almost staple on the radiowaves, you can almost always hear them on the air whenever you turn the radio on.

Oasis were somewhat a breakthrough for their time, bringing Brit-pop to another level with their unique songs melodies and lyrics admist bands like Radiohead, Suede, Blur and Ash (remember Girl from Mars?) Morning Glory propelled them into the fame that they would ride on for 4 or more studio albums. I have always likened Oasis to The Beatles, due to their lyrics and song melodies.

I have this uncanny liking towards Britpop bands, their unique music being one of the reasons but I think it's their British accent that gives their song that little extra something. If you were to go thru my CD collection, there are some other British bands like Suede, Ash, Coldplay, Travis etc there too. And though some might resent the British accent, I like them as much as I like the songs that they come together with.

Oasis was special to me because listening to their songs made me pick up guitar playing seriously, I had just began to pick up guitar then and wasn't too good at it. Playing their songs really gave me a lot of chord changing exercises, and helped me practice various open chords and the dreaded barre chords. Coupled with their easy to sing lyrics and melodies, Oasis gave me and many new guitarists, I suppose, something fun to play and sing along with. I even performed with some friends on stage once singing some of their songs, and had a lot of fun doing it.

But why Oasis but not other bands?

If you haven't noticed, Oasis' songs almost always have an acoustic guitar accompaniment, and this allows the song to sound pretty good even if played unplugged. That allows anybody with an acoustic guitar to sound almost like them. And it's no surprise here that some of their best recorded performances are their unplugged sessions with just vocals and acoustic guitar. There are some bootleg CDs of their acoustic performances and I suggest that you check them out if you haven't because they are really worth listnening to.

I was quite a big fan then, and to date have collected all of their albums except Standing on the Shoulder of Giants which I think is a really weak album and deserves a miss.

Oasis made it pretty big back then, partly due to their music and also partly due to the antics of the band members, notably Liam and Noel. They were notorious for bad conduct and offensive bahaviour and remarks. They even had some trouble with the law, but in retrospect which famous artiste doesn't in one way or another.

Well, for this latest CD, I'm still trying to find the Morning Glory sound out of it, that's my benchmark because I think by far that's the best Oasis album. Don't Believe the Truth has the usual gritty sound but, still lacks what it takes to be another Morning Glory. The one track that to some extent relate, was Track 11 - Let There Be Love. Strummed guitar and vocals here carry the Oasis sound that we can all relate to.

Oasis has come quite a long way since Definitely Maybe and critics say that this could their better albums since Be Here Now (3rd studio album), which I have yet to agree with. If you haven't why not check it out at your local record store and tell me what you like or dislike about it?

Get more Oasis info here - Oasis Official Website
More on my favourite Oasis album - What's the Story Morning Glory from Wikipedia

Comments

Anonymous said…
You should show me how nice the album is, if it's really that nice... :)