My First Chronograph Watch

My Seiko Chronograph*

I recently got this timekeeping piece as a birthday present, it's my first ever chronograph wristwatch. pENguiN~ thought that since I am always late for my appointments, a watch would prove useful to remind me to be on time (...NOT). She also said that, having a good wristwatch makes a man :P.

Talking about making a man, a friend of mine (I'm not sure if he visits this blog :P) gave me this piece of advice some time back. Apparently he got it from his father. I still remember it because I felt it was quite true and seems practical enough.

He said, "There are a few things that a man should make sure that he has, one of it is a pair of good shoes and another is a good wristwatch."

I'm not sure if there are anything else that I might have forgotten, but I remembered that it left a lasting impression on me until today. That friend of mine lives by this advice, making sure that he always gets the best watch and shoes that he can afford.

So does having a wristwatch at last complete me? Well, it might seem a little narrow-minded to think that these are the only two things that are important to a man, but let's look at this in inverse, what if a man has everything except these two things, would you look at him differently? Call me superficial, but I guess sometimes a person has to manage how the world looks at him/her.

Personally, I think that the advice is sound, if we look beyond the superficials and start to think practically, a pair of good shoes and a good wristwatch would prove very useful in many many situations. How many times have you wished you had a sturdier pair of shoes when your pair starts to go crocodile on you? Also, I bet there were many times you wished that you had a MORE water-resistant watch when the one on your wrist starts to fog up :)?

Alright, enough pondering and on to some details on the watch.


This is a Seiko Chronograph Watch. It is actually one of their many battery-operated quartz models. Has the standard stuff, 3 chronograph dials: second hand, 1/20th of a second, and hour/min elapsed. Center hand indicates the stopwatch seconds. Also has luminuous hands and markers (glows in the dark) and has a date function too. Battery is rated to last between 2-3 years depending on usage. Comes with a stainless steel case and bracelet, and has a 100m water-resistant rating (I don't swim actually :)).

I've been wearing the watch for almost week now, and still needs some getting used to, and since then I tend to be more careful with my left wrist, wouldn't want to 'scratch' the scatch-resistant Hardlex Crystal. Timekeeping wise, I have the watch set at +15mins at the moment, just to make me more time-aware, and hopefully more punctual as a result.

* Picture taken using a Panasonic Lumix FX-9 in macro mode.

Comments

pENguiN~ said…
OK, I guess you're hinting me on another pair of new shoes? Bear in mind you have more shoes than me....!! Grrr... :P
eugch said…
Is 'bear in mind' pun intended? Is it bear in mind or bear in mind :D?
sarah y said…
I don't recall you ever wear a watch.
No wonder I never notice that you are a good man.
=P
Anonymous said…
we wear a same watch, bro...