5 Obsessions

My first tag since I started blogging. Frankly, I've always thought these things are a little corny, but what the heck, there's a first time for everything.

I'm supposed to reveal 5 things that I'm most obsessed with and I think I have to really try my best on this.

1. Tidyness - I have to admit, I'm a neat freak, I like everything to be in order. And having things in a less orderly fashion would somehow irritate/stress me out, makes me feel that something is wrong somewhere. It's something like the Roy Waller character played by Nicholas Cage in the Matchstick Men. But of course not to Roy's extent of having an OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) towards tidyness. He'll start to vomit and even have seizures whenever he sees things in a non-orderly fashion. Let's just say, like how Roy would put it "I've got things in a certain way, and that's it." To sidetrack, watch Matchstick Men, it's good :)

2. Comprehensiveness - I have this thing for wanting to know the big picture about something before I can actually make any decisions/progress on it. For example, making a purchase on something. I would read/ask/research/surf until I feel (read: substantial amount of time) I've had sufficient knowledge on the subject matter before I actually make the decision. I practice this too in my workplace, good in sense that you would really get to know more, but somehow I think it would take away a lot decisiveness and forward-progress, especially if time is a critical factor. This is something I would like to improve upon: being decisive with the information at hand.

3. Guitars and their associated electronics - As far as I can remember, I don't recall how I came to have this obsession, but I guess it must've been watching too much G3 live performances on DVDs and visiting jemsite too much. So whenever I see a guitar, I'll try to figure out the model, the pickup configurations, the bridge, and whenever I see live performances I always like to take note of their gear, ie. effect pedals, amplifiers, head, which position his pickup switch is in etc etc. And window-shopping at music shops, casual chats with guitar techs and jamming sessions are a sure way for me to pass my time when I'm bored. Personally, as a guitar player, I've always looked to upgrade/improve my rig but any musician would know that they don't come cheap :(. And of course, some purists argue that the tone is in the fingers but... the GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) is always there.

4. Good music - Can't live without music, and they have to be in good quality, so I guess no pirated CDs for me. Properly-encoded (no clicks, no extra EQing - no heart-thumping lows or ear-piercing highs, decent bitrates) MP3s are ok, but I would still prefer CDs anytime.

5. The Internet - Best thing since sliced bread. Like Sarah's obsession with coffee, I have mine with the Internet. Like coffee it too can cause withdrawal symptoms because it arises out of the lack of information from the Internet. Living in the Information Age bombards us with lots of information and we have learned to take it as an essential part of our lives, and which failing to receive will cause with varying effects on different individuals ie. moodiness, feeling blue, loneliness, anxiety, tendency to snap at people, anger; that can only be cured by an undetermined dose of web-surfing, MMORPG-ing, forum browsing, instant messaging, news reading, and blog-writing. Undetermined because like I said earlier, the symptoms and their required cures vary from individual to individual. I have to admit that the Internet has been an important part of my life and yours too I believe.

I think that's enough obessions to keep me busy for a while. Who would I tag? I hope I have enough looking at my not-so-long friends' list. I think I'll just tag 3 people :D

1. A NBTD Beach Boy - bruce
2. pENguiN~
3. tales of a hard twig and two rocks - yengs

Signing off.

Comments

KK said…
Hey, go to my blog also kkcheong.blogspot.com
sarah y said…
Hoho.
I thought one of them is going to start with a S and ends with an X.